Teaching in South Korea

         Teaching in Korea is not easy. Not all foreigners will appreciate teaching here in this country. There are lot of negative comments we hear and read. However, when we love what we are doing we'll find solutions to overcome and understand our students. I've been teaching here in Korea for almost 6-7 years from part-fulltime.
           I was introduced,  there's a vacant teaching job and said that they needed a Filipino English teacher. I called and they asked  me for an interview. In short I got the job in two Academies. My second mission was to meet my students and be friend with them. Two of my students at SLS academies always commented on our Philippine English Accent. I guess they were used with American accent. I was boiling inside but what can I do. Then I end up searching from the internet how to improve my accent. As days pass by, my students started giving me candies. When I am busy checking or doing my lesson plans. They will  come near and say hello. They are just kids to be loved and understand why they have such that kind of behavior. Now, I can teach the students with confidence. I always tell them that I can't teach them all the English vocabularies, have the American accent but I promised to help them speak confidently. Teaching them how cultures differ from different countries.  Respecting their thoughts is the best thing I did. Listening to what they say and helping them build up simple sentences. At the end, you can win. Love and care is what they need and  can teach them without stress. (considering the fact that teaching as a foreigner (me) is not forever)

         Applying for a job in a well known academies is not a piece of cake.  In Korean Herald, my  boss required my authenticated  documents and proof that I  graduated from a university. He said he must submit my credentials to the The Korean Ministry of Educaton. Academies must register their teachers.
          Lastly,  knowing what we are teaching and saying sorry if we committed mistakes. In these way, your students will believe you.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my my my... I see many errors!!! really writing is not a piece of cake for me..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts